Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Christmas Challenge

As Christmas approaches each and every year I am challenged to keep Christ on the throne of Christmas. It is so easy to get distracted with so very many things. This year I am going to do something a little different and I would like to share it with you. Perhaps you may want to join me.

I am a visual learner who generally benefits from visual reminders. This year I have placed three styrofoam cups where I can see them clearly.

In cup number one I have broken up a fourth cup and used it to fill the first one. This one will represent filling the season with "self." I can really ruin Christmas by wanting things to go "my way." Christmas is not about pleasing "me" My old "self" with my selfish ways has been crucified with Christ. Praise God. By His grace that old "self" will stay crucified. I do not want "self" on the throne this Christmas. (Consider Romans 6:6)

In the second cup I have cut out pictures of worldly things. For me worldly pictures represent vacation spots, free time, a good book, etc. The things of the world will grow strangely dim as I keep my eyes upon Jesus. I do not want the things of the world on the throne this Christmas. (Consider 1 John 2:15-17)

In the third cup is water. The water in the cup represents living water. This Christmas I want to be reminded every day to choose to be filled up with the living water of Christlikeness. When people come into my presence this Christmas I would like them to find Christ. Christ is on the throne this Christmas. (Consider John 4:10)

Perhaps you might want to find a place in your home to set out three cups. Allow the first to represent "self," the second the things of the world that distract or pull at you, and the third to represent Christlikeness. Jesus is the reason for the season. Jesus likely was not born on December 25th. Mary and Joseph did not live by a Roman calendar. It is far more likely that Christ was born during the feast of Tabernacles. Nevertheless, any day is a good day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Let us pray that those of us who call Jesus our Messiah, our Lord, our Savior will honor Him and keep Him on the throne of our Christmas. (Heb 12:2)


Merry CHRISTmas,

Patricia Wenzel
WOC Graduate


For those who want to dig a little deeper:

Listen to "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" sung by Alan Jackson at www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4uIyz_d90&feature=fvw

Prayerfully consider the chorus:
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will go strangely dim;
In the light of His glory and grace."

DIGGING DEEPER
Jonn 1:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God.

No comments: