Monday, December 27, 2010

"I Will Not Forget Your Word"

Today, as I was driving to work, I was practicing my memory verses for the week. Along with a few others at America's Keswick, this has been a life-impacting journey that I have been on this year.

At the beginning of the year the President and CEO of America's KESWICK issued a challenge to the entire staff. We were given a charge to intentionally commit Scripture to memory. Granted, there was an added perk of a carrot dangled before us. Yet, in my mind, this in no way diminished the fact that the Word of God would be hid in my heart and the heart of many others. Some have tried to minimize this exercise by pointing out the fact that it's being done for the proverbial carrot. Regardless, my conscious is clear before God, in part, because this challenge was brought to us; we didn't seek it.

God's Word commands us to hide His Word in our heart. I know that, for me, as a believer and follower of Christ, to do so is great reward on many levels in and of itself. On an earthly level, the reward, if looked at through the eyes of the flesh, is seemingly shallow and entirely material. In other words, it's all about me. However, through the eyes of faith, it is simultaneously of major benefit to my soul (on every level) and is the only food from which my spirit derives lasting reward and eternal benefit. Therefore, from a perspective of faith, it is all about the Savior who blesses whom He blesses however He chooses!

Try as they might, no one will ever be able to take that away from me/us or ever conceive of a way to undo the Word hidden more deeply in my/our heart this year purely as a result of being challenged.

I wish I'd thought to do this before, but the truth is I didn't think I had the ability to commit so much of God's Word to memory! Who knew? God certainly did and what He has shown me about Himself and about my own heart this year is priceless.
At the same time I have sought and gained the rewards found in the Word, there has also been the realization of much indwelling sin and strongholds that God by His Spirit wants to tear down and demolish.

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
Blessed are You, O LORD!
Teach me Your statutes.
With my lips I have declared all the judgments of Your mouth.
I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways.
I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word."
~Psalm 119:11-16

Stephanie

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "instrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiction Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

No comments: