Monday, December 13, 2010

Digging Deeper John 1:1-7 with Commentary

I have found that there are times that the Scripture for the week is exactly what I need at that time. If I may diverse for just a moment, I'd like to share a personal testimony from last week.

I was at the doctor early in the week and she has concerns and has ordered some tests. Now 15 years ago, I would have fallen apart, but alas I do see evidence of God's grace and growth in my life.

I was walking on the treadmill a day or two after my visit and memorizing Matthew 6:30-34. As I rehearsed verse 34, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for it will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble", I was encouraged again that God has my back. He holds tomorrow, I do not. Some of the best Biblical counsel I can give people who worry is to stay in the moment. Some think that "one day at a time" is an AA phrase, but it is actually Biblical. I want to say God thought of it first but that sounds like it occurred to Him, and that would not be accurate, but the truth is He has always known it. So try it. For today, stay in the moment.

This week our meditation passage is:
John 1:1-7
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.


Commentary:
Three "basic truths about Christ as the Son of God are featured in the prologue: (1) the eternal Christ (vv. 1-3); (2) the incarnate Christ (vv. 4,5); (3) the forerunner of Christ (vv.6-8)..." if you read further through verse 18 there are 3 additional basic truths,"(4) the unrecognized Christ (vv.9-11); (5) the omnipotent Christ (vv.12, 13); and (6) the glorious Christ (vv.14-18)" [The MacArthur Bible Commentary pg. 1343]

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: