Tuesday, November 02, 2010

A Foreteller for Free....

I've found you meet some interesting people at bookstores/coffee shops. On one occasion there was a husband and wife having coffee; she knitted while he read the Bible. I thought to myself, "How nice, this sweet couple is out enjoying the day together, having a cup of really good coffee and reading God's Word." My friend and I had made eye contact with him and that opened the door for him to "share." He started to share about the Bible and how he was somewhat of a "foreteller for free." He mentioned the name of a man we all knew who's teaching of the Scriptures focuses mostly on its prophecies. His focus was on discrediting this man's teachings and trying to offer his own. Mind you, I said his own, not the Bible's. Interesting, I thought, he had the Bible open and seemed to know the Scriptures well but had a confusing interpretation; he never once mentioned the Lord.

The encounter left me with an uncomfortable feeling. I've had it before when I've come to meet someone and wondered, even feared for them, whether it is they know the Bible very well but not its Author. I'm ashamed to admit, I was more annoyed with him than anything else. And in hindsight I know I should have shared Christ with him. Why is it we can be so easily impressed by someone who has a great knowledge of the Scriptures? I would guess I'm not alone in that. I've often heard people comment; "Wow, he really knows his Bible." I think that's incredible. I should know mine better than I do; there's no excuse that I don't. I simply haven't taken the time to study. I'm thankful I knew enough to ascertain a lie from the truth when it came to this "foreteller." Having said that, we'd do well to remember that even Satan knows Scripture, and the Scriptures say it is so: Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ' He shall give His angels charge over you,' and, ' In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "It is written again, 'You shall not tempt the LORD your God.'" Matthew 4: 5-7 (NKJV)

Each time Satan tempted Jesus, even if he quoted Scripture, JESUS rebuked him with Scripture. God's Word is alive, and He wielded it like the sword that it is. For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)

This "foreteller". I'm not sure of his intent although he kindly offers his interpretation for free, I believe he has missed the point. Is Jesus alive and coming back? Oh yes...He's coming back but the Bible teaches us that not even the Son knows the hour of His return. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Mark 13:32 (NKJV) If God didn't reveal it to Jesus, what makes "foretellers" or anyone think they know when He's coming back? Many will attempt to deceive, even the elect. Thank God for the Bible! Even if the Book were to be burned, as I'm sure in some places it is, the Word can never be destroyed. Heaven and earth will perish and pass away, but My words will not perish or pass away. Mark 13:31 (Amplified Bible). Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming-in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning- lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch! Mark 13:35-37 (NKJV). Are you watching?

Dina Seaton

Dina serves on staff in Marketing and as a staff writer. She is currently working on her first book, Do It Again LORD, Do It Again...

DIGGING DEEPER
Isaiah 40:28-31
Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
The Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
His understanding is unsearchable.

No comments: