Friday, July 08, 2011

Digging Deeper James 3:10-12 with Points to Ponder

"From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water." James 3:10-12

Points to ponder
I grew up in a home where cursing was not tolerated. I can remember once in the 18 years I lived at home that I heard my father use "damn" because I was putzing around and putting off doing the evening dishes. (Chores tended to take me longer than they should have because I was so easily distracted.)

As I entered the work force it was not uncommon to hear cursing and the Lord's name taken in vain. I worked my way through college as a supervisor in a local restaurant. One day the manager encouraged me to swear at the staff working on my shift, "so they would know I really meant what I said."

Though I was not inclined to swear, neither was I offended by others that were. That is, until I became a follower of Jesus Christ. Now I find that I inwardly cringe when I hear swearing and cursing.

Oh, sister, please don't think that just because I don't curse or swear that I don't misuse my words for my own agenda. I do. I am not proud of that but it is the truth. My problem is not a problem with my tongue as much as a problem in my heart. My tongue simply reveals my heart attitudes. For one thing I arrogantly think that my opinion matters - because of that error I interrupt others, I correct others' opinions, I keep talking until the other person either agrees with me or simply acquiesces out of sheer exhaustion.

How about you? What ways do you see that your words contradict who you are in Jesus Christ? Gossip? Anger? Self-righteousness? Discouragement? Negativity? Having to make your point or having the last word?

Would you join me today in praying that God would show us ways we use our tongues that dishonor Him and His plans and purposes? Imagine the impact you, as one individual, would have if you choose to guard your mouth and commit it to God for His use to His honor and glory.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: