Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Time to Meditate upon the Word - Part I

Years ago I was given instruction on one way to have devotions. I was challenged to read a portion of Scripture, then pray and ask the Holy Spirit to stop me at some point as I read it again. Once stopped, I was to read that small piece again and ask the Holy Spirit to speak as I, His servant, listened. God is so very faithful. Every time I have applied this simple process, the Holy Spirit has indeed stopped me. I review the sentence I was on and ask the Lord to speak. I then focus and meditate upon His Word. It has brought the Word of God to a more intimate place and I always benefit from my time in the Word and my time of intimacy with my heavenly Father.

Today I want to share this joy of meditating upon the Scripture with you. Below is a listing of some of my favorite Scriptures. Each one is TRUTH. I want to encourage you to, FIRST of all, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to bring revelation to you personally from His Word. SECOND, read each piece of Scripture. THIRD, ask the Holy Spirit to stop you as you read the Scriptures again, revealing what He would have you focus on. Focus and mediate on that piece of Scripture. Be still and listen. FOURTH, write down what you believe the Lord is saying to you. FINALLY apply His Word and His revelation to your life personally and be blessed. If in doubt about what you believe you have heard or learned in your time in the Word, consult with a mature believer who you trust or your pastor.

Psalm 1:1-3
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer.

Psalm 34: 18
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 62:5
My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.

Proverbs 16:9
The mind of man plans his way
But the Lord directs his steps
.

Isaiah 43:18-19
Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past. Behold, I will do something new. Now it will spring forth. Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, rivers in the desert.

Patricia L. Wenzel
WOC Graduate

DIGGING DEEPER
James 4:1-3
1What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?
2You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.
3You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.

No comments: