Friday, July 15, 2011

Digging Deeper James 3:13-18 with Points to Ponder

"Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." James 3:13-18

Points to ponder:
As you have pondered this section of Scripture this week has your heart been challenged in different circumstances? As I memorized this portion of Scripture I remember that it seemed to pop into mind at various different times when I needed to consider whether I was pursuing God's wisdom or my own. It is a great checklist to filter our thoughts and decisions through to test if they are rooted in God's wisdom.

Here are some questions to consider:
1. Am I jealous? (of the attention someone else is receiving, someone else getting the credit, someone else doing a great job, someone else making the decision, others' friendships, etc.)
2. Am I motivated by my own agenda (selfish ambition)? (Is it my way or the highway? Do I want my opinion to matter most? Do I want recognition? Do I want to appear better than I am?, etc.)
3. Does there seem to be confusion and disorder?
4. Is there an appearance of evil or worthlessness?
5. Is the course of action or decision or discussion pure? To the best of my ability and by the power of the Holy Spirit, are my motives pure?
6. Am I seeking to speak, interact and think peaceably?
7. Am I being gentle in my attitudes, actions and words?
8. Am I open to reason? Or as the NKJV says, Am I willing to yield? Resistance may be my own pride and arrogance.
9. Am I being merciful?
10. Will this course of action result in good fruit or bad fruit?
11. Am I being impartial and sincere?
12. Am I sowing peace?

You may have others to add or like to tweak the ones I offer but let me suggest you allow the truths of these verses make a difference in your life today.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

Cross references:
A. James 3:13 : James 2:18
B. James 3:13 : James 1:21
C. James 3:14 : James 3:16; Acts 5:17; Rom 2:8; 2 Cor 12:20; Gal 5:20; Phil 1:17; 2:3; Rom 13:13
D. James 3:15 : James 1:17
E. James 3:15 : 1 Kgs 22:22; 2 Thess 2:9, 10; 1 Tim 4:1; Rev 2:24
F. James 3:17 : 1 Cor 2:6, 7
G. James 3:17 : Heb 12:11
H. James 3:17 : Luke 6:36
I. James 3:17 : James 2:4 (Gk)
J. James 3:17 : Rom 12:9
K. James 3:18 : Prov 11:18; Isa 32:17; Hos 10:12; Amos 6:12; Phil 1:11
L. James 3:18 : Matt 5:9; Gal 6:7, 8

No comments: