Tuesday, October 18, 2011

KEEP LOOKING FOR THE ROSES

Many of you know my "Roses" story already, but for those who don't I feel I need to share it. When our 17-year-old son Nate was killed by a drunk driver, our son's friends asked, "What are we going to do with Christmas?" since Christmas day would be his 18th birthday? My personal thought was, "Can't we just cancel December?" His 18th birthday, and he would not be here! Actually, Nate was our third child to die; Jimmy died when he was 7 weeks old; Ethan, Nate's twin, died when he was 10 days old, and now Nate was killed when he was 17 years old. It would be my vote to just cancel the whole month. Everyone is so "Jolly, Ho, Ho, Ho" in December, and I see nothing to celebrate.

Shortly after, I saw a poster that said, "God gives us memories, so we might have Roses In December."1 My first thought was, "You've got to be kidding. Roses in December? I really doubt that I will see any roses in my December. "

But slowly I did begin to see that God had given me roses in meaningful Scripture, in people, in memories, and even in little treasures that kept appearing. Such as the plant of miniature roses that appeared at my door on a day I was really struggling to sense God's love for me, or the day the bouquet of roses was sent to me claiming I had been a blessing to someone who was almost a stranger to me.

It has been 28 years since Nate was killed; could God still be sending roses my way?

Recently I had need of a cane. We are in a small town, and the likelihood of finding any kind of cane seemed slim, but wouldn't you know that the first cane my husband found had a rose print over the entire cane! God still remembered!

Just a short time ago, as we were traveling through a tourist town, I was tired and about to end my day of sight-seeing when I entered a lovely gift shop. While I was still in the entry, I spotted a Christmas sleigh with an arrangement in it that included many red roses and THREE white roses. Since we normally supplied our church with an arrangement of red roses and three white roses each Christmas season, I knew that centerpiece was MINE!!! God still remembered me and my need for roses. Thank You, Jesus. He knew my need and met it. He is faithful!

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for caring for me and remembering my occasional need for roses as a reminder of my boys and of Your love for me. Amen

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:8 You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.


It's finally here!!! Crossing the Jordan: Living Victoriously in Difficult Relationships by Diane Hunt, MaryAnn Kiernan, DeEtta Marsh, Stephanie Paul and Betsy Shoppy (several of our Victory Call writers). Today's Victory Call is just a taste of what you will find in this Bible Study for women. Although it was originally written for wives of men in addiction it has already been a blessing to women from various circumstances and relationships: moms, siblings, daughters, wives, fiancees' etc. Most of the 14 chapters are applicable to any woman in any situation. To secure your own copy contact America's Keswick Guest Services 732.350.1187 $16.00. If you have any questions contact Diane Hunt at dhunt@americaskeswick.org.


1 This quote is attributed to Sir James Barrie, the author of Peter Pan.

No comments: