Wednesday, October 19, 2011

SHINE ON

When our grandson was only a few months old (he is now 22 years old!) our daughter sent us a video in which she sang "This Little Light of Mine. I'm going to let it shine; Let it shine; Let it shine." Every time our daughter would hold up her index finger, symbolic of a candle, our grandson would giggle. His giggle became contagious and soon I was giggling, too. Then my husband joined me in watching our grandson, and soon my husband was giggling, too. Not only was our grandson giggling, but he was SHINING!

Several years ago, my husband and I attended a conference led by Mrs. Leanne Paine. While we were there, we learned a new song, "Shine, Jesus, Shine!"

Shine, Jesus, shine
Fill this land with the Father's glory
Blaze, Spirit, blaze,
Set our hearts on fire
Flow, river flow
Flood the nations with grace and mercy
Send forth Your word
Lord and let there be light.1

How do we shine for Jesus? First, we make sure that Christ is Lord of our lives. Then we become very familiar with Scripture. We then ask God to help us to never miss an opportunity to shine for Him. It is now our responsibility not to pass up any chance we have to shine for Him. That means as we are driving...do we represent Him well? When we are in a store, do we shine because we know Jesus? In our casual conversations do we take the credit for our "nice" behavior, or do we Shine?

I mentioned in an earlier devotional about finding a beautiful rose centerpiece. I shared the story with several clerks before I left the store, and then I even had my husband take the centerpiece out of the bag and show it to a man at the bus stop, and of course, he heard my "roses" story and was told of God's faithfulness. That's what I call "Letting my light shine for Jesus!"

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

SHINE, SHINE, SHINE!!!

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:8 You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.


It's finally here!!! Crossing the Jordan: Living Victoriously in Difficult Relationships by Diane Hunt, MaryAnn Kiernan, DeEtta Marsh, Stephanie Paul and Betsy Shoppy (several of our Victory Call writers). Today's Victory Call is just a taste of what you will find in this Bible Study for women. Although it was originally written for wives of men in addiction it has already been a blessing to women from various circumstances and relationships: moms, siblings, daughters, wives, fiancees' etc. Most of the 14 chapters are applicable to any woman in any situation. To secure your own copy contact America's Keswick Guest Services 732.350.1187 $16.00. If you have any questions contact Diane Hunt at dhunt@americaskeswick.org.


1 http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/cliff+richard/shine+jesus+shine_20032227.html

No comments: