Monday, November 07, 2005

An anxious heart ...


A few months ago, I was required to do some traveling for America's KESWICK. This traveling required that I fly to the west coast.
Since I was 19, when I had a panic attack on a flight to Atlanta with my sister, every flight I have taken has stirred up anxiety. I'm not talking about a little nervousness, I'm talking anxiety and sometimes anxiety attacks. From the moment we made the flight reservations out west, the anxiety started to creep in around the periphery of my mind.
During my daily Bible reading, God began to speak to my heart. I found it very interesting the number of "peace" verses I came upon during the ten days that led up to my flight. I wrote them down in a journal and purposed to take them to heart. I would review them at various times during my day. I tried to faithfully practice what they taught. Every time my mind would start to wander into dangerous territory, I would purpose to bring it back to truth, to scripture and to God's faithfulness. However, this story has much less to do with me than it does with God.
Philippians 4:6-8, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God' and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." This was among my favorites because it reminded me that the cure for anxiety included prayer and thanksgiving. I spent the better part of those ten day praying and thanking God. Practicing the truth of the Scripture, consistently brought peace to my heart. Scripture calls for action. "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only..." James 1:22
The day finally came for our flight out west. There was much confusion and stress at the airport simply because of the masses of people. I could feel the anxiety rising in the pit of my stomach. A part of me FELT like I was ready to do battle with this stronghold once and for all; but there was also a part of me that FELT like I was not up to the task. As we approached the security check point the feeling that "I just could not do it" was battling for control of my mind. I turned to my husband and said through my tears, "I just want to be free!"
Well, it looks like I'm out of time for today. Tune in tomorrow for the next segment of my faith in flying saga.

Until then, remember God's word speaks to specific issues of our heart and life.

Diane

No comments: