Friday, November 18, 2005

JESUS IS REAL

There are a great many who have opinions one way or another about Disney, some like it, some hate it and think of it as evil. I've been there four times and I love it! There are some rides, attractions, movies and shows I don't like, I choose what's appropriate, somewhat in the same way I do when we visit any theme park or movie theatre or even when we watch television. This past visit was wonderful. I took my son there and we had an exciting time going on rides, playing checkers on Main Street (he always beats me!), watching the fireworks and just enjoying ourselves.
One of the theme parks we visited, Epcot, was especially interesting. It offers a peek at life in various countries around the world, Canada, Japan, Italy etc... Disney has a great way of making these places seem real, almost like going to that country. They go to great lengths to make it realistic through the food, the architecture, even the authentic staff at each exhibit from the various countries that speak the native language as well as English. Although it is very realistic; it is an imitation.
As we walked through Epcot we passed a woman in a white vest and printed on the front of the vest in large red glitter was this: "JESUS IS REAL". WOW, all I could think of saying to that was Amen! She never said a word; she just walked around, which is some walk! I kept thinking what a witness for the Lord! I am so blessed to know the truth that He is real, but many don't. What a great way to touch others with what's real while walking through a place that is not real, make-believe, made in the likeness of the real thing.
About eleven or so years ago, my son's grandfather gave me a VHS tape of the movie "Jesus of Nazareth". I took it home and watched it and for the first time in my life realized that Jesus was real! Until that time I thought of Him in some type of ghostly form, not really touchable and certainly not like human beings. I was thrilled at the thought of it and it was as if a light went on. WOW! He was real! A real God and a real man, both at the same time. How? Why?
It would be five years later that I came to know the answer. Why would God leave His throne to come here to earth, be born as a baby in a manger, live a short but power-filled life, suffer inexpressible pain and die on a cross, only then to rise from the grave three days later? Why? For me and for you!
I heard someone say she prayed to the saints instead of God because "she needed someone with skin on." Now certainly those believers were real human beings with skin on, but they are not God. I've even heard women say, "I'm lonely, I know God is with me but I need a man with skin on." The good news is He did have skin on, skin that was broken and bruised for us, Isaiah 53:5 says: "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." The company of another can be a wonderful thing, God also said: "It is not good that man should be alone, I will make for him a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18. Other people are never intended to take the place of God.
Now I don't know about you but I will take a trip to Hawaii over a trip to the Polynesian Hotel in Disney any day! I want the real deal!
Is God real in your life? Or do you have an imitation? If so, seek Him with all your heart and He will be found faithful. Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart."
It sure would be wonderful to visit Hawaii someday, but it's even more wonderful to know the God who created it!

Dina

No comments: