Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Best Thing


"The central point of the kingdom of Jesus Christ is a personal relationship with Him, not public usefulness to others." -Oswald Chambers

I don't think any of us would have trouble remembering the Scripture telling of Mary and Martha. We remember Martha, busy as a bee, in service to those who occupied her home. She was doing a good thing; a right thing. In the midst of her labor she observed her sister, Mary, doing absolutely nothing, well, nothing that is except sitting at the feet of Jesus, hanging on every word that came out of His mouth.
Being anxious already about all she had to do, Martha was a bit irritated with her and decided to go a register a complaint with her friend Jesus. Jesus lovingly and gracious responds and tells Martha, "You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41b-42

In my short life as a believer I've heard a great number of talks regarding these friends of Jesus. The particular bent of the one speaking usually determined whether Mary or Martha gets let off the hook. (I personally think the two should coexist as comfortably as two peas in a pod.)
In my life I tend to be a Martha. I love tending to and caring for my home and family. I thoroughly enjoy being a part of the life of the church.

With the exception of a precious few, most of the women I know are Martha's too. We love serving the Lord and being "church ladies", doing what church ladies do best. Why is it, then, that most of us feel frazzled and worn, restless and torn?

I submit to you, the answer is the need our soul has to sow and cultivate Mary moments, which are really moments -long, lingering moments with The Savior.

My Question For You:
Are you replacing serving and doing with the one thing that is necessary and best?

Stephanie P.

No comments: