Friday, November 25, 2005

Your lovingkindness is better than life

"Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. Thus I will bless You while I live" Psalm 63:3

Recently, I was speaking in Lancaster, PA to a women's group for a day-retreat. At our lunch break the ladies at my table started discussing diets, food addictions, etc. This woman shared what plan she tried, another shared a recent book she had read, and back and forth the conversation went.
One of the women pulled out a sheet of paper from her Bible on which she had jotted notes at a recent women's conference. She read to us what she had written. She ended her recitation with "'because Your lovingkindness is better than life...' Better than life, can you just imagine?" One of the women sitting across from me gazed off into the distance. We waited with anticipation for her response. She finally said, "Better than life... I'm just trying to imagine anything being better than a Reece's Peanut Butter cup." We all laughed but isn't that a sad a statement that reflects the thoughts of too many of our hearts?
We find it difficult to surrender in areas of food, wasting time, gossip, spending, criticism, anger, or submission (am I getting close?). We cling tenaciously to what we want because we have not yet "... taste(ed) and see (n) that the LORD is good" Psalm 34:8. I believe that when we believe in our heart that His love is better than life, I mean believe it and by faith live it out in our personal lives our "souls shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and (our) mouth(s) shall praise (Him) with joyful lips." Psalm 63:5.

I want to encourage you to read Psalm 63 in its entirety. It is 11 short verses and will only take a few minutes. Pause. Drink it in. Let His living water pour forth from your soul as you find His lovingkindness better than _______________. You fill in the blank.

Diane

No comments: