Wednesday, November 02, 2005

"The Lord is good and does what is good" Psalm 119:68

At first glance this may seem like a no-brainer. Of Course God is good, and if He is good, then what He does is good. But doesn't God do everything? Doesn't everything that happens happen by God's sovereign will? Well, if it does, than according to this verse, it is good.
What is sovereignty? John Piper's definition is: "God is in ultimate control of the world, from the largest international intrigue, to the smallest bird-fall in the forest." The Bible says, "I am God and there is no other...my counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose." (Isaiah 46:9-10)
George Mueller was a godly man who is well remembered for his work with orphans in London over 150 years ago. George's wife became very ill and.George prayed "if it may be, raise up yet again my precious wife, and Thou are able to do it, though she is so ill, but howsoever Thou dealest with me, only help me to continue to be perfectly satisfied with Thy Holy will." Soon after, George's wife died, and George spoke at her funeral saying " ....I kiss continually the hand that has afflicted me...without an effort my inmost soul habitually joys in the joy of that loved departed one. Her happiness gives joy to me. My dear daughter and I would not have her back, were it possibly to produce it by the turn of a hand. God himself has done it, we are satisfied with him." What a faith this man had!
Oh that we may with him say in all circumstances, with a faith and a love for God, and His sovereignty, "The Lord is good, and does Good." And not only that we would believe God's goodness in all He does, in life and death, in pain, and suffering, in joy and in sorrow, but that we would have the joy God desires for us no matter what our lives have in store, and that we might live out the truth that "God is good, and does good"

Kate


No comments: