Friday, December 09, 2005

God is faithful

1 Corinthians 1:9, "God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord."

Plain and simple, sometimes it is difficult to make time to spend time with the Lord. Sometimes when we make the time, we read the Bible and pray but don't feel like we got anything out of it. I find when I am reading Scripture, a dozen things are vying for my attention, nothing that can't wait but none-the-less my mind wanders. This morning I decided that every time I found my mind wandering I would restart the section I was reading. I must have restarted 8-12 times!!!
I think we often approach our quiet times as a necessary discipline for our personal spiritual growth. Is it vital to our relationship with Jesus Christ? Absolutely! But there is another aspect we rarely consider. In the little booklet, "My Heart Christ's Home" Robert Boyd Munger writes as if Jesus is speaking,
"He (Jesus) said, 'The trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible Study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour mean something to me also. Remember, I love you. I have redeemed you at a great cost. I desire your fellowship. Now,' he said, 'do no neglect this hour if only for my sake. Whatever else may be your desire, remember I want your fellowship.'"
Stop and consider that a moment. God wants fellowship with you. The Creator of the universe, the All-sufficient, Almighty, and Sustainer of that universe desires fellowship with you. Savor that thought. I mean it, close your eyes and drink in the love of Jesus that causes Him to desire fellowship with you.

Are you going to leave Him waiting?

Diane

No comments: