Thursday, December 01, 2005

always be ready to give a defense

"Sanctify the Lord God in you hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3:15

Let me begin with the premise that I support our president. If you do not, please read on anyway because my point is much more significant (I hope) that who is in the Whitehouse.

I have a confession to make..... In the past two weeks as I have been out and about doing errands, I have been appalled at the boldness of the anti-Bush proponents. Just yesterday, I was the post office. A man was entering at the same time as I was and he made a comment about the beautiful weather to which I responded in kind mentioning that it was supposed to be cold by tomorrow. Without skipping a beat, this man said, "When are they going to get us out of the mess in Iraq? The country is broke, 500 billion in debt. Bush sure has made a mess of things." I wish I could say I responded by saying, "Well, actually sir, I am thankful we have a man in the Whitehouse with integrity, honesty, humility and morality." Or even a simple, "You're talking to the wrong person. I support Bush." But instead, I said, ..................................nothing. Nothing! I clammed right up. I know there are a few Bush supporters out there that would speak up and perhaps you are one of them but most of us act like we are mute. At least I do.
My confession ... I'm a wimp.
As I am writing this Victory Call, I am reminded of a Sunday school class I was in about 8 or 10 years ago. We were discussing whether we would deny Christ if we were persecuted or if our family would come to harm if we did not. I was shocked that most of the men and women said they would deny Christ because He knew their hearts and would forgive them.
Sitting here at my keyboard, I realize I am no different than they. I didn't even stand up for our president and neither my family nor I was in any danger. If I clam up when someone disagrees with my politics what will I do when someone challenges my faith?

"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10-32-33.

Diane

No comments: