Monday, August 13, 2007

You Can't Take It With You

You can't take it with you

I have heard the saying many times "You never see a U-Haul behind a hearse." When we leave this world we can't take any of our possessions with us. It all gets left behind. I'm sure that most of you have heard that too. However this week at our staff chapel Christian author and conference speaker Marilyn Heavilin put a new twist to it that just about took my breath away. She said there is only one thing we can take with us and that is the hearts that we bring to the knowledge of saving grace through Jesus. Isn't that the best treasure we can possibly think of to take along to heaven?

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.

Some times I get too wrapped up in my treasures on earth. When the Lord calls me home I'll have left a big pile of "stuff" that someone will have to get rid of. Shouldn't I be more concerned about my Buddhist neighbor or the kids playing down the street? As I pursue God, the more and more my heart will be aligning itself with what is important to God. And I don't think God cares or even gives a thought to my teapot collection....accept if it begins to take my eyes off of Him.
Treasures....many different things to many different people. We spend so much time searching for that "perfect teapot or teacup" (or what ever treasures you look for) and I may spend a good sum of money on it. But of what eternal value is it? What if I put that much effort into the lives of others? What a treasure it will be when the Lord calls me home and because of the love of Christ I have shown to another, or the Truth of the Gospel I shared with someone, we will be in heaven praising God for eternity together...now that truly is treasure!

MaryAnn

No comments: