Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Are You Willing to Pray?

Are You Willing to Pray?

Today I was humbled by a couple who asked if they could pray for me. I didn't ask them to. I didn't share anything with them. They could obviously see that the bookstore was closing and knew I would be moving on. They asked me if they could pray for me! There have been many customers in the store bargain hunting, giving hugs and saying good-byes but this couple took the time to pray for me! I have tried to make a habit of praying with people when a need arises.

I have embarrassed myself too many times by telling people I would pray for them or their need and then forgotten. If I take a moment to pray when asked "Will you pray for...?" I find I remember it easier and the Lord puts that need on my heart in the days ahead. I am now challenged to be more discerning at what might be going on in someone else's life and be willing to ask "Can I pray for you?" This may be easy to do within your church or even with someone you don't know well but believe they know the Lord. But what would happen if you and I saw the need of the cashier at the grocery store, the elderly woman sitting by herself as you drink your coffee, or the person sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office?

I know this can be a challenge but would you ask the Lord to show you who needs you to pray for them? Just ask someone today if you can pray for them and be willing to follow through. I imagine God will supply us with a number of divine appointments if we would just ask to pray for another's need. Kathy Withers is married to her husband Dave; she has two adult children, Michael and Kerri. Kathy is currently teaching Higher Ground II at America's Keswick on Fridays at 10 AM.

No comments: