Monday, December 08, 2008

Walking in Truth

Walking in truth

One day, many years ago, I was visiting a dear godly woman I have long since considered a mentor in my life. There was an open Bible in her bathroom. In the brief time I was in there my eyes fell upon this verse and I instantly memorized it: "Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Psalm 86:11 (NIV)

Of late, this is the cry of my heart. As I was thinking about this verse recently I had to stop and ask myself, is this really my desire? Sure I want God to teach me His way, but will I walk in His truth? Will I respond to His truth with obedience, or do I want to know His truth and do my own thing anyway? I think far too often, I live as if the verse says, "Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will think about it;" or "Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will decide if I want to walk in Your truth'" or "Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I walk in Your truth if it's not too difficult;" or "Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will tell others to walk in Your truth." How about you?

When God teaches you His way, how are you most likely to respond? Will you walk in His truth, or your own? When God teaches you to forgive, do you forgive? When God teaches you to be silent, are your silent? When God teaches you to speak the truth in love, do you speak up? When God teaches you to submit to authority, do you submit? When God teaches you to serve another, do you serve? When God teaches you to encourage, do you encourage? When God teaches you to love your enemy, do you love? When God teaches you to humble yourself, do you respond with humility? When God teaches you to share the Gospel truth with that difficult person in your life, do you share? How am I doing?

Have I hit close to home yet? If not, fill in the blank yourself: When God teaches me to ______________ do I _________________? Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth... Psalm 86:11a Diane Hunt is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

No comments: