Monday, March 16, 2009

A Cup of Cool Water

Matthew 25:35-36 "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Jesus tells us that when we reach out with the love of Christ and minister into the lives of others, it is as if we are doing it for Him. In this parable, Jesus talks about feeding the hungry, inviting a stranger in, clothing the naked, showing kindness to the sick and even visiting prisoners in jail. 

This is very important to our Lord and Savior... that we "be" His hands, His feet and His heart here on earth. I think we would all scramble to do anything at all if we knew we were doing it directly for Jesus. But Jesus tells us that the ones who know Him and love Him will do all these things and more for anyone in need and it is the same as doing it for Jesus.

      Once we know the love of God and have been a recipient of His free gift of grace, we are not to greedily hold on to it, but are to pass it on.  Once you come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior there is an inner transformation that takes place. If you truly understand the depth of the love that God has for you and the magnitude of His sacrifice so that you could spend eternity with Him in heaven, then the natural outpouring should be to reach out to others with the love of Jesus. That outpouring of love to others is manifested in many ways. 

      Most often we think we can't do all that the Lord wants us to do, that we don't have the talent or ability or time. But all it takes is just to be aware of your surroundings, asking the Lord to open your eyes to see "Jesus" in those who cross your path. Perhaps go and serve at the local soup kitchen once in a while: "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat." Be kind to a stranger. Invite the new family at your church to your home: "I was a stranger and you invited me in." If the Lord has blessed you with four winter coats, pass one on to the one who has none: "I needed clothes and you clothed me." Maybe you can bring a pot of soup to a sick friend and instead of doing a drop and run, stay and keep them company for a while: "I was sick and you looked after me." You could even really stretch the envelope by being a part of a prison ministry and visiting prisoners in jail! "I was in prison and you came to visit me." Or you could simply offer a cup of cool water to the parched lips of another: "I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink."

      Each one of us is capable of being "Jesus" to another in a hundred ways and most of those ways wouldn't take us to serve in China! Go ahead.....Reach out and touch someone in Jesus' name.

MaryAnn

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 35 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of two grandsons. She serves at America's KESWICK as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

No comments: