Monday, March 30, 2009

We are ALL in this together

About nine or so years ago, I started to occasionally facilitate a group meeting called Higher Ground which Diane Hunt began and, week after week, usually serves as the primary facilitator/speaker.

Higher Ground is a weekly care and support group for women. The group was started as an outreach to the community for women who may have loved ones struggling with addiction or who, themselves, are in recovery and in need of support as they desire to pursue victory in life.

However, one doesn't need to fit this category to be involved. Any woman seeking an opportunity to grow in her faith walk, and enjoy the added blessing of fellowship with a group of "real women," is welcome. Higher Ground is an avenue that God is using to transform lives.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to begin a six-week series on the topic of prayer. One day my boss (Diane) and I were talking about prayer when I expressed the burden that was/is on my heart to see women get over their fear of praying, and -voila!- I was signed up to teach it!

Well, here I am. I'm not so much teaching as I am working through a book written by Kay Author (a world-renowned Bible teacher) alongside the women who faithfully attend week after week.

While I may be facilitating the group meeting, I make it plain and clear to all, "we are ALL in this together." God is at work in each of our lives and He wants us to be women who are strong in faith. He desires that we grow in wisdom and stature for His glory and honor. He wants us to be beautiful images of His grace and truth to our families, our neighborhoods and the world.

Having said all that, I'll close with this. Throughout the next few weeks I will share with you small vignettes of the story that is unfolding in our midst as the Lord faithfully draws us closer to Himself and helps us get over some of the hurdles that have hindered us in our faith walk.

Why will I do this?

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." ~~Hebrews 12:1-2

With all my heart and soul, I believe prayer is an open door to the Father and He wants us to draw near; He wants us to seek Him and glory, glory, glory, He actually promises that if we seek Him we will find Him. No tricks, no gimmicks. Selah......

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD..." ~~Jeremiah 29:11-14a

Stephanie

No comments: