Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I sin

Why do we so tenaciously guard our reputations?  In one sense it is almost humorous that we act as if others donít know we that we sin.  There are 6 billion people in the world and it should be no surprise to any of us that all 6 billion people sin every day, multiple times a day, whether in attitude, unexpressed thought, action or inaction. 

Why is it when we sin, so often we try to explain it away with some excuse that waters down our responsibility?  I was tired. I was confused.  I was hurt.  I didnít know.  All of those things may wear down our resistance to sin, but none of them cause us to sin.  

Why do we have such a difficult time saying, I was wrong?  Please forgive me.

Recently, I made a too quick comment that I knew was overheard by someone that would be hurt by it.  It was not my intention for them to hear but I was aware of it as it happened. That evening I knew I needed to go back to that person and ask forgiveness but how would I explain why I made the comment?  Nothing sounded as forthright and honest as what I finally said to her the next morning, ìIím sorry for what I said; my best explanation is that I have a sinful heart. In reality that was the bottom line.  At that moment I chose to love and serve myself rather than God or the other person.  At that moment I failed to keep the two greatest commandments.(1) 

A few days ago as I was reading in what has become one of my favorite books, A Gospel Primer(2), I was reminded of the foolishness of trying to cover up, hide, dress up my sinful heart, the foolishness of trying to protect my reputation because I am not a little sinner, I am a big sinner.  My sin is so grievous that it required a blood sacrifice to satisfy the wrath of a Holy, Righteous and Pure God.  

Here are some excerpts from the Primer:

The Cross also exposes me before the eyes of other people, informing them of the depth of my depravity. If I wanted others to think highly of me, I would conceal the fact that a shameful slaughter of the perfect Son of God was required that I might be saved.the more exposed I see that I am by the Cross, the more I find myself opening up to others about the ongoing issues of sin in my life. (Why would anyone be shocked to hear of my struggles with past and present sin when the Cross already told them I am a desperately sinful person?) And the more open I am in confessing my sins to fellow-Christians, the more I enjoy the healing of the Lord in response to their grace-filled counsel and prayers(3)  I give thanks for the gospelís role in forcing my hand toward self-disclosure and the freedom that follows.(4) 

This explains a work of Godís grace that I have been experiencing in my life over the past several months.  Because of the gospel, I am less inclined to hide what everyone already knows about me.  I sin. 

Diane

1 Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

2 By Milton Vincent

3 James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

4 Ecclesiastes 4: 9,10,12 Two are better than one, For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!... 12And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand himóa threefold cord is not quickly broken.

No comments: