Thursday, March 05, 2009

The gospel for my life 1

"...the gospel...of first importance..." 1 Corinthians 5:1, 3

"If there's anything in life that we should be passionate about, it's the gospel. And I don't mean passionate only about sharing it with others. I mean passionate about thinking about it, dwelling on it, rejoicing in it, allowing it to color the way we look at the world. Only one thing can be of first importance to each of us. And only the gospel ought to be." C.J. Mahaney, The Cross Centered Life, 20-21.

These two quotes comprise one of the opening pages in Milton Vincent's book: The Gospel Primer for Christians. This skillfully composed treatise of gospel truths has become a very good friend. The truths penned on its pages have guided my thinking, changed my mind and adjusted my heart over and over again. Is it new? Not at all. Though the book was only published in 2008, the principle goes all the way back to the Bible as 1 Corinthians 5 records. The gospel is of first importance. "...the gospel...of first importance..." 1 Corinthians 5:1, 3

If you are like me, you understand the role the gospel plays in your personal conversion story. No one will be saved apart from embracing the truths of the gospel. A beautiful, wonderful, glorious truth. However, the gospel cannot be relegated to a purpose solely for salvation. It has great value and purpose as the gospel is applied in practical ways to daily life. That is the purpose of Vincent's book. A good read and I recommend it highly.

Allow me to share with you my meager offerings of how I think about the gospel daily:
I am reminded that:

I deserve death, but You give me life. Romans 5:20-21
I deserve hell, but You give me heaven. John 14:1-3
I deserve bondage, but You give me freedom. John 8:36
I deserve anxiety, but You give me peace. Philippians 4:6-7
I deserve crucifixion, but You provided a substitute. 1 John 2:2
I deserve punishment, but You punished another in my place. Psalm 89:30-32; Galatians 3:13
I deserve isolation, but You give me fellowship. 1 Corinthians 1:9
I deserve the law, but You give me grace. Romans 6:14
I deserve darkness, but You give me light. 1 Peter 2:9
I deserve despair, but You give me hope. Romans 15:13
I deserve to be orphaned, but You adopted me. John 14:18
I deserve to wander, but You guide me. Luke 1:79

As I consider and meditate upon the rich and glorious truths of the gospel, I am reminded, over and over and over, of His grace to me and in me. This empowers me by His grace to extend grace to others because all these truths are also true for every one of my brothers and sisters in Christ. The ground at the foot of the cross is level. Let us allow the gospel to make a difference in our daily lives and these truths to radically change us.

Tomorrow, we'll pick up where we left off....

Diane

No comments: