Monday, June 15, 2009

Emergency Preparedness Kit

Do you have one?  Have you made a list in case of fire, flood, bad times, tornados, etc.?

Things like flashlights, rope, water, blankets, etc...  These are a few items that we see from time to time in magazine articles.  We really don't live in an area that would be affected by serious weather damage.  Fortunately we are in a pretty safe place.

Are you in a safe place, do you have your emergency kit prepared just in case.  Spiritually speaking are you in a safe place? Do you have an emergency kit prepared?

I remember a time when things were crazy and unsettled and I didn't know where to go or what to do.  A few years ago.... a good friend that I worked with in ministry reminded me it might be a time that the Lord has me under His wing (verse).  I know that because of my salvation I am in the palm of His hand.  Sometimes we need to feel that sense of security and we need to remind ourselves He might have us under His wing for a time of rest and to keep us out of harm's way.  

Psalm 91:4 (New King James Version)
He shall cover you with His feathers,
        And under His wings you shall take refuge; 
        His truth shall be your shield and buckler.

Looking back at that time I didn't understand it completely but I trusted my friend's advice and kept claiming that verse.  After a while I could feel His wing lifting and allowing me to go back to a bigger place.  I was still in His palm but I did not need to be protected under His wing as much.  He needed me to fly on my own for a while in the area He made a way for me to embark out in.  

When times are insecure, fearful, crazy or feeling scary....just like if we could see the flood or tornado coming, it is nice to know we have our emergency kit prepared, too.    Just like we find shelter in a basement during bad weather, we can find shelter under His wing during bad times.  What have you done to prepare?  The Bible talks about doing things in orderliness and I'm sure this means to prepare ahead for uncertain times.

My kit that I carry is a small tote bag. It includes my Bible, a notebook, a few pens, a devotional, a Christian book to read and some note cards to send a note to someone,  as the Lord leads.  Whether I am at home or on the go I can take my bag with me and when I feel a spiritual emergency coming I can dig deep and I have the supplies I need with me.  Another thing to carry along with you is a heart always ready to pray and a mind full of Scripture that you can refer to when your bag is not in reach.

So many times we get caught off guard because we did not prepare ahead of time. Take a moment today and ask the Lord what he needs you to put in your emergency bag.  If you feel like you are under His wing, enjoy the security; if He is lifting His wing know that He will never leave you and if you need His wing just ask him.

  Lynn Wilson

No comments: