Monday, June 08, 2009

Judging Others

Matthew 7:1 says, Judge not, that you be not judged.  That's how it reads in the ESV of God's Word.  In The Message, which is the Eugene Peterson paraphrase, it reads like this, "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults-unless, of course, you want the same treatment."

I love to read "My Utmost For His Highest," a devotional book by Oswald Chambers, compiled by his wife after his death and in continuous print since 1935.  As I sat reading it a few years ago (and once again very recently), the message for the day was about being critical of others. He wrote, "The average Christian is one of the most piercingly critical individuals known."  He went on to say, "Criticism serves to make you harsh, vindictive, and cruel, and leaves you with the soothing and flattering idea that you are somehow superior to others." My Utmost For His Highest June 17 (1)

The first time I read those words I cried and cried.  My conscence was pricked by those stinging words and it hurt a lot.  At that time I was being especially critical and judgmental towards certain people in my life and God used those famously penned words to bring rebuke, correction, conviction, confession, repentance and change - change that is in constant ebb and flow as I grow in the knowledge of Him.

Please don't think this task was or is by any means easy, because it wasn't and isn't.  If we don't draw near and press in to God, our natural bent will be toward being critical of self and others.  As a Christian, this simply will not do.

Jesus' words to the people ready to stone the woman caught in adultery are words that come often to my mind in the midst of being critical.  "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone." John 8:7.  While I pursue blameless living I am far from sinless.  Who am I to look at the faults and failures of others and be critical?  "Search me O God and know my heart!  Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24 (2)

My Challenge For You:
If you find you can relate in anyway to what I've shared today, go to God now, confess and allow His spirit to transform your heart in this area.  You'll be so glad you did!

Stephanie

1 http://www.rbc.org/utmost/index.php 
2 www.biblegateway.com 

No comments: