Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Psalm 119 Musings

While I was walking one day memorizing Scripture, which I sometimes do when I walk, I was memorizing Psalm 119:36-37. Psalm 119 is my favorite Psalm. It is obvious to the reader the Psalmist's absolute delight in God's Word. It is also the longest Psalm with 176 verses. Verses 36-37 encapsulate my heart. It says many things: "Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. Establish Your Word to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You."

First, "Incline my heart to Your testimonies..." I know that in my flesh, I am more inclined to my own testimonies. My heart represents the deepest part of me, my motivations, my desires, my attitudes, my longings, my beliefs. That part of me that needs to be delighted in God's testimonies, His word.

Second, "and not to covetousness...". If I were honest, I would have to admit, I can so easily be distracted by people and things.

Third, "Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things," This goes along with covetousness. So much in the world can draw our hearts away from total devotion to God. Ps 86:11, "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." An undivided heart; that's what I want.

Fourth, "revive me in Your way." I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, God's way is the right way and when all is said and done, the only way. If He will revive me, may it only be in His way, because my way hasn't worked out so good.(I know that's not good English).

Fifth, "Establish Your Word to Your servant..." God's Word is vital to our growth, change and healing.
John 17:17, "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth." God's means of sanctifying us (growing us in Christlikeness) is His truth. His word is truth. Although God uses other means to communicate His truth to us, His primary means is through His Word. Being in the Word is vital to the health of every believer. Don't let Satan win by fooling you into thinking you can get by. You may think, "I listen to Christian radio" or "I go to church," etc. You need to be ingesting the Word on your own.

You may say you have never done this. Well, it takes purpose, commitment, perseverance, and faith. Start small, with a 10 or 15 minute commitment a day. Everyone can squeeze 15 minutes out of their busy schedule, if it is important enough. If you see it as vital to your spiritual health, you will do it. If you don't, you won't.

Finally, "to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You." Proverbs 9:10, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." I want to devote myself to fearing God.

Diane

No comments: