Friday, June 12, 2009

God speaks to my heart...

Again, I was challenged in my walk with the Lord when I my back was against the wall.  I was told something I didn't particularly like and I became angry.  I am slowly learning, sometimes I am better off keeping my mouth shut and going to the Lord, so I went for a walk. It was a walk of determination with fiercely swinging arms, as I literally cried out to God.  Tears streamed down my face, hidden behind my sunglasses.  When the walk was over, I didn't feel any better, so I sequestered myself in my room.  I opened the Bible to where I was in my daily reading.  Here are some of my recorded thoughts from my journal that evening: "Part of me wants to speak my mind-but I am choosing to have God's voice be the louder voice.  'Call upon Me  in the day of trouble.  I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.'(1)  'Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright, I will show the salvation of God.'(2) ...I praise You that You waste nothing-I know you will redeem this for Your glory.  Cause me to know the way I should go for I lift up my soul to you.  Show me Your way, O Lord, teach me your path, guide me in Your truth and teach me for You are God, my savior and my hope is in You all day long.  
"Set a guard over my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips"...Lord, I fear if I don't speak this will pass unnoticed-please redeem this for your glory. 'When I am afraid I will trust in you...In God I have put my trust; I will not fear.'(3)  'And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed.'(4) ...Lord, cause me to remember to hide in the shadow of Your wings, to stand on the Rock which causes me to see life from Your perspective.  Lord, in You alone I trust......

I can't explain what God has done - He's been faithful and true to His word. As I sought to cling to the cross with both arms -die to myself- God has diffused my feelings of anger."

You may not have noticed but the verses I shared were progressive.  I simply went to the Bible and started reading right where I had left off and verse after verse spoke to me in my specific situation.  The verse that was impressed most upon my heart was Psalm 50:23 because when we don't know what to do, it makes it very simple.  1) offer praise and in so doing we glorify God and 2) I am to order my steps aright-do right for my part.

Regardless of what the other person does I can choose to do what's right.  That does not mean I will be perfect but when I do fall and sin, I need to be quick to repent before God and to seek forgiveness from those whom I have offended.  Keeping short accounts allows me to be blameless.  When I offer praise and order my steps aright, God says He will show me His salvation.  I believe God can redeem any mess we get ourselves into, for His honor and glory.

That is a pretty simple prescription for righteous living.  

Diane
 

 
1 Psalm 50:15
2 Psalm 50:23
3 Psalm 56:3 & 4
4 Psalm 57:1

No comments: