Thursday, July 30, 2009

But it's hard...

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to tend to my sister's 6 children (2, 2, 9, 9, 9, and 10) for a week. I am still in one piece and so are they. I clearly understand why the Lord saw fit to give me only 2 children (now grown). As the week wore on, and the kids were missing Mom and Dad more and more and probably had enough of Aunt Diane, the verbal bantering seemed to increase. One morning as I was reading my Bible it dawned on me that it would be good to have them memorize a well selected Bible verse:

Ephesians 4:29: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" (NIV). We worked on it all day. One nephew, in particular, was struggling, saying "It's hard," to which I replied, as any Aunt would, "Just because it's hard is no reason not to do it." Each in turn succeeded in memorizing the verse.

The morning after I returned from my "play week" I was reading the Bible and the Lord prompted me to take my own words to heart. Honestly, I have not been memorizing Scripture consistently in a long time. Do I believe there is great value in it? Absolutely! Do I believe it is needful and profitable? Absolutely! Do I encourage and even counsel people to memorize Scripture? Sure. Then why do I not consistently memorize the Word of God myself?

How about you? I would venture a guess of our close to 900 Victory Call subscribers less than 1/2, probably less that 1/4 of you are consistently memorizing Scripture. Why? Why are we not more faithfully hiding God's Word in our hearts? The number one reason I hear? It's hard. Just like what my 9-year-old nephew said.

It takes time and effort. Just because it's hard, is that a good reason not to do it?

Psalm 119:11 "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

Diane

No comments: