Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Got Wisdom?

Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding."

Have you ever prayed for wisdom? In my prayer time this request comes up often. Though too often I think I'm more worried about acquiring more "knowledge"...about the Bible, God, and Jesus. Knowledge is very good but knowledge alone is not wisdom. There needs to be knowledge combined with wisdom. However, there is still another essential ingredient that must be added to these two, otherwise all my knowledge and wisdom will be rendered useless. And that ingredient is the practice of wisdom...putting feet to the wisdom God has given...living in obedience to what God has revealed to me through His Word.

When Solomon became king of Israel, he understood that the task before him was great and daunting. Solomon succeeded his father as King of Israel. His father was King David and God himself said David was a man after God's own heart....How in the world could Solomon follow in David's footsteps?

In the beginning of Solomon's reign, God came to him in a dream and asked, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." (2 Chronicles 1:7) Solomon could have asked for anything but he knew he would need one thing more than any other. He was very young and inexperienced and so he knew what he needed beyond all else.

2 Chronicles 1:10 "Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

Can you imagine God saying to you...go ahead ask for anything you want and I'll give it to you? I certainly can't. I would like to think I would ask for the things Solomon did. Solomon knew that he needed wisdom and knowledge more than anything - even riches - to be able to rule as king of Israel.

King Solomon is still known as the wisest man who ever lived. God truly blessed him and we have the book of Proverbs filled with wisdom for all of us to glean from.

Proverbs 8:10-11 "Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

Proverbs 3:13-14 "Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold."

Proverbs 2:1-6 "My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."

Proverbs 2:10 "For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul."

So what about you? Got wisdom?

Mary Ann

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 35 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of two grandsons. She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

No comments: