Friday, July 31, 2009

Honor and Reverence

Malachi 1:6-14 lists the grievances the Lord had towards the priests and people of the time. God received no honor and no reverence. The sacrifices that were being offered were lame, sick and blind. (Lev. 22:20-25, Deut. 15:21) The sacrifices were offered with an insincere heart that despised God's name and they had become weary of doing the requirements given by God.
How about you and me? We also can become haphazard in our worship and become weary of doing things God's way. God required honor and reverence, yet how often do we contemplate His position in that way? If we only see God as our friend and good buddy then we do not see Him in His totality. If we are weary of serving and living for Him, then what position has He taken in your life? Who is it that is being exalted?

Kathy Howard shares in her study a story about one of her children who had some candy. When she had asked for some, the reply was, "Sure, Mom you can have all the green ones!" Hum? I have done the same thing with bags of candy- I like the red Starbursts and all the Skittles but the green ones. Those would be the first I would offer. Do I do this to God? How does He view me when I only offer Him the pieces I don't like? I suspect He is not pleased with me either. When there is no fear of God and there is no honor of Him, it will show in our actions. We will get sloppy and God is not pleased. God's sacrifice for us, Jesus Christ, was a perfect sacrifice. Could you and I say we are a holy, living sacrifice being offered to Him today?

As you begin the day consider inserting your name in the verse below:
"And now, ______, what does the Lord your God require of you? He requires you to fear him, to live according to his will, to love and worship him with all your heart and soul, and to obey the Lord's commands and laws, that I am giving you today for your own good." Deut. 10:12-13 (NLT)

Also, remember:
"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise" (Psalm 51:17).

Kathy Withers

Kathy serves at America's KESWICK in the Guest Services Department. She is married to Dave and has two children, Michael and Kerri.


No comments: