Monday, July 13, 2009

FINISHING WELL

A few months ago my Aunt had been ill and went through two major surgeries. I went to see her soon after the second surgery. Upon waking she told me that she didn't think she would be here much longer. I knew in my heart that that was probably the case. Aunt Jo continued her thought by quoting a familiar hymn, "This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long." She was an organist for many years and her love of music was always apparent. These words easily came to her mind. Here in trying times and near the end of her life her desire was to see Jesus and to praise Him all day long. It was hard and difficult to watch my aunt suffer over the last few months of her life, yet it was a privilege to see her finish well.

I share this because I am challenged at how well I will finish. Will Jesus continue to be the desire of my heart? If I make it to 87 years of age will my love for Him be as strong?

In the midst of pain and uncertainty will I cling to Jesus? As I face death will I waver or long to see His face? I hope to finish well but I know that my "finish" begins today. My finish is determined by the choices I make today. A little compromise today may be all that it takes to cause me to falter at the finish line.

If you feel like you have quit the race you can still get back in. If you feel disqualified you need only repent. Today may be the day you will choose to memorize Scripture and songs that will later carry you through dark valleys. Maybe today is the day that you need to choose to get back on track with your Savior, Jesus Christ.

Let these verses be your hope and goal today:
"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God." Hebrews 12:1-2 NKJV

Kathy Withers

Kathy works in Guest Services at America's KESWICK. She is married to Dave and Mom to Michael and Kerri.

No comments: