Thursday, February 04, 2010

Built Up in Truth

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority. Colossians 2:8-10

This year at America's KESWICK we have been encouraged to read through the Bible in a year. My pastor also has been encouraging us to read the Bible prayerfully without reading from others' point of view. His desire is for us to prayerfully learn what God has said through His Word. For a book and Bible study junkie such as myself, I know this will be hard. Not because I have never read the Bible in a year but because of all the other reading I enjoy. I enjoy studying but I need this challenge to trust and depend that the Holy Spirit really is my teacher. No man, regardless of his knowledge or understanding, is greater than having the Holy Spirit teach and lead me into all truth. We must always be on guard so that we will not be taken captive by the philosophies and deceptions of men. They abound today through books, radio and TV. Just scan a bookshelf at your local bookstore and see what is mingled in with solid teaching. The best way to safeguard against these deceptions, traditions and principles is to truly know what it is that God says.

So, I am combining these two challenges and reading the Bible through out the year and reading less* of others' thoughts and ideas. Colossians 2:3 says ...in whom (Christ) are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Let's look to Him and dig for treasure.

"We must be diligent, constantly, on guard, and ever alert to those deceitful and ultimately destructive philosophies and theologies that to the slightest degree draw us away from reliance on Christ and his all-sufficient grace. Any idea or system of thought that would suggest he is not supreme and sovereign or that he is not infinitely and exclusively worthy of our absolute devotion and admiration is demonic at its core. Beware, says the apostle, of any such philosophy. Identify it. Denounce it. Deliver others from its destructive clutches." **

*Please know that there are plenty of good materials to read from well learned men. In no way am I throwing out the books I enjoy. But I know that I can spend more time in the Word if I cut back on other pleasure reading. A good question to ask is "How much time do I devote to each?"


Kathy Withers

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


**The Hope of Glory, Sam Storms, chapter 47.

No comments: