Monday, February 01, 2010

Join us on the Journey - DIGGING DEEPER into God's Word

This January, our President and CEO of America's Keswick, Bill Welte challenged our staff to memorize Scripture each week as part of the DIGGING DEEPER focus this year. Here is an excerpt from Bill's on-line challenge/encouragement: "Our theme verse is: "Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know" Jeremiah 33:3 (NKJV).

Rather than just focus on this theme for the summer weeks, I am making this the theme for the entire year. Getting people into God's Word on a daily basis is a passion that we will continue to develop throughout 2010.

Just think what might happen if all of us partner together to DIG DEEPER INTO GOD'S WORD and EXPLORE THE PROMISES OF GOD! Will you join me in the adventure to "DIG DEEPER?"1

We are going to join together with hundreds of others in DIGGING DEEPER INTO GOD'S WORD by following the Scripture memorization schedule we as a staff are following. Here's our plan: Starting today, February 1st -- each Monday you will receive the Scripture for the week with a brief commentary, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be a typical Victory Call Devotional . At the bottom of each there will be a portion of the week's Scripture to memorize (should you be willing to take up the challenge and join us on the journey). Rounding out the week, on Friday along with the week's Scripture will be some points to ponder and application questions. What do you say? Are you up for a challenge that WILL dramatically change your life?

Join me... on a Journey into the very Heart of God.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Brief Commentary:
Psalm 23 was written by David. A very familiar passage of Scripture, quoted by believers and non-believers alike. David, a shepherd himself as a young man, understands the tender care of a shepherd for his sheep. He knows that God cares for him with even greater tenderness and protection than he himself provided. "Psalm 23 is a song about the Living Great Shepherd who currently oversees His sheep."2 The same Shepherd, of whom David speaks, is the same Shepherd of your steps and soul if you are one of His sheep (regenerated by His Spirit). He is present in your present, you have no need or want and in its place, He pours out His goodness and mercy upon your head.

1 For Bill's challenge and a Bible reading plan go to this link: http://www.americaskeswick.org/475372.ihtml

2 The Psalms: Expositional Devotional Studies by Don Kelso

No comments: