Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Our ONLY Hope

As I read through Scripture, my old training peeks it's head through, causing me to wonder, for just a split second, how I could possible go to heaven, but just for a split second.

I was recently reading Revelation 21:8, But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. Revelation 21:27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false..."

I'd like to say that in some ways that describes me at different times before I came to Christ; however, in all honesty, that describes me at different times SINCE I've come to Christ.

Growing up to believe that it is by my deeds that I will gain or lose heaven, I fear, at moments I am better described by the characteristices of the doomed rather than the saved.

BUT...
Whether I feel more doomed or more saved is not what determines my eternal destination - AMEN!! The last part of Revelation 21:27 proclaims the truth: But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

My name is written in the Lamb's book of Life!! If your name, too, is written in the Lamb's book of life it has not been put there by you or as a result of anything you have done or not done, but it is there written by God's own hand. It is in God's handwriting.

Diane

DIGGING DEEPER
PSALM 27: 3-4
Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
yet I will be confident.
4 One thing have I asked of the LORD,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to inquire in his temple.

No comments: