Monday, February 15, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER PSALM 34:1-10

I trust you are being blessed by the reading of the word each week. A number of you have emailed letting us know of your intention to join us on the journey. Personally, I am finding that I really can memorize larger portions of Scripture, and I know you can, too. Don't believe the lie that you can't memorize Scripture, or that you are too busy. We all have time each day/week that can be redeemed for the memorization of Scripture. Here are a few suggestions that we, the staff, have found: during our ride to work, during our daily walk, during daily devotions, during treadmill time. I'm sure there are many other times in our days that we can find a few minutes to meditate and memorize. Be creative. You will not regret it. We are looking forward to hearing the stories of how God is moving in your life throughout our journey. Don't be left behind, join now right here.

This week's Scripture for our DIGGING DEEPER journey is Psalm 34:1-10:

1 I will bless the LORD at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the LORD;
let the humble hear and be glad.
3 Oh, magnify the LORD with me,
and let us exalt his name together!
4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8 Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

COMMENTARY:
This Psalm is written by David and associated with a time in his life that is recorded in 1 Samuel 21:10-15: And David rose and fled that day from Saul and went to Achish the king of Gath. And the servants of Achish said to him, "Is not this David the king of the land? Did they not sing to one another of him in dances, 'Saul has struck down his thousands, and David his ten thousands'?" And David took these words to heart and was much afraid of Achish the king of Gath. So he changed his behavior before them and pretended to be insane in their hands and made marks on the doors of the gate and let his spittle run down his beard. Then Achish said to his servants, "Behold, you see the man is mad. Why then have you brought him to me? Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this fellow to behave as a madman in my presence? Shall this fellow come into my house?"

Psalm 34 is David's heart of thanksgiving, praise and rejoicing. Will you join him today?

No comments: