Monday, January 31, 2011

Digging Deeper James 1:9 with commentary

As I sat down to write the Victory for this week, I had to chuckle at my own verse division. I thought, "why on earth did I choose to break the verse there?" But I trust the Lord knew all that when I set up the year's verses. Let's rely on the commentary to help this week.

James 1:9 Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation (ESV)
James 1:9 Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, (NKJV)
James 1:9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. (NIV)
James 1:9 When down-and-outers get a break, cheer! (The Message)

Commentary:
"glory. The word refers to the boasting of a privilege or possession; it is the joy of the legitimate pride. Although having nothing in this world, the poor believer can rejoice in his high spiritual standing before God by grace and the hope which that brings (cf. Rom. 8:17, 18; 1 Peter 1:4) [The MacArthur Bible Commentary by John Mac Arthur, pg. 1882]

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: