Wednesday, January 05, 2011

When God Calls Us to The Front Line

In the battle for my children I recently took a pretty hard blow. I was a mess. Tired, weary, doubting and battle fatigued, I hauled myself to a good friend's office. I shared how I failed at the front line. I wanted to retreat and retreat I did. I retreated into my kitchen for my favorite ice cream sundae and then straight under the covers. I felt guilty for wanting to quit. I felt guilty for retreating to other things than the arms of my Heavenly Father. I felt guilty for not being stronger. I shared how I had recently watched Pearl Harbor and saw men willing to go on suicide missions to defend their country. I just wept about how tired I was and I was sick of being on the front line. My friend reminded me of God's grace, cried with me and prayed with me and for me. The next day I opened a devotional that was recommended this past summer. This is what it read:

"My Princess,
You are not called to follow others, My beloved Warrior, I have appointed you to leave them to me.

Life will become a great adventure if you will step out into the front line and fight for those who are too weak to fight for themselves. Do not look back on what you have lost; look forward to the great victories that are in front of you. You don't have to hide behind your fears and insecurities any longer. I can and will turn your pain into passion to change the world around you. As you find your way to the front line, hide this truth in your heart: 'This fight is not just for you; it is for all those you dearly love.'

Love, Your King who fights for you"*


God knows our weariness. He knows when our strength is zapped. Sometimes He calls us not to just hold our ground but to dig our heels in even more. Sometimes He will call us to step up to the front line.

He will say to them, "Listen to me, all you men of Israel! Do not be afraid as you go out to fight your enemies today! Do not lose heart or panic or tremble before them." Deuteronomy 20:3 NLT

*His Princess Warrior by Sheri Rose Shepherd, page 30, 31

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:1
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.

No comments: