Tuesday, January 04, 2011

When God Calls Us To "Retreat"

Many years ago I had a co-worker who was a real ladies man. It didn't take me long as a new Christian and object of his womanizing until I needed to put up my guard and fight off any advances that came my way. My idea was that God and I were big enough to battle together. I took a firm stand against this co-worker by politely saying no to any invitations and was always on guard against this foe. One morning while reading the Word I came across 1 Corinthians 6:18 which exhorts us to "flee from sexual immorality." I realized that the battle plan was not to remain on the front line and take it but to run and run fast! My strategy changed as I lined up with God's Word on this issue. I began to avoid this man like the plaque. If he was at the coffee machine I was not. If he was working in an area where I need to walk by him I would take the long way around. I began to realize that in my weakness, say after a disagreement with my husband, I could have lost ground had I remained on the front line. God certainly does not call us to wage war when He clearly and wisely intends for us to flee.

Some battles are not for us to fight. Some battles are won by heeding God's battle plan through obedience. Normally, the call to "retreat" means you have lost. But when God calls us to "retreat" He fights the battle and we win too. His Word is faithful to direct us in all situations.

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:1
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.

No comments: