Tuesday, January 18, 2011

God's Refreshment

My younger daughter and I were riding in our car one day. It was rather warm especially in the sun. We drove past an eighteen wheeler truck and I heard my daughter mumble something. So I asked her what she said and she replied, "I said thank you to the truck." I said, "Why would you do that?" She said the truck gave her some shade and it felt good. It made me think about shade...how it feels to get some relief from the hot sun.

There was a time when I had been at the beach and had gotten very bad sunburn and every time the sun would come across my legs it would just burn! So that evening walking the boardwalk I would run from awning to awning to get to the SHADE so that my legs would not burn.

Have you ever run to the shade? Have you ever been at a baseball game wishing you had worn some kind of hat with a brim on it?! I've taken umbrellas to some of my kid's baseball games! There's something about getting out of the bright sunlight that just makes you take a sigh of relief!

It also made me think of a verse that had been discussed in the past few months. Psalm 91:1 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the SHADOW of the Almighty."

When I think about that I think, "What a great God we have!! He provides SHADE for us - RELIEF from the heat of battle!!" We can run to His shade and rest. May we continue to dwell in His shelter so that we will get relief from the daily battle. Next time you put your hand up to shade your eyes, thank Him for the SHADE!

Sue Mercer
WOC Graduate

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:5
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

No comments: