Thursday, January 06, 2011

When God Calls You Back to Battle

Over the last days I have shared with you that God may call you to leave a battle that is not yours. I have also shared that God will call us to the front line to fight.

For me, the hardest battle is when I feel like I have lost and I can't fight again. The enemy gained the upper hand or I disobeyed a command or there is no advancement on the ground. I despaired over the loss of the last battle when ice cream and sleep looked like the best strategic move I could make. I so wanted to be stronger! How was I going to get up again? First, I shared that I sought out a good friend. Her words and prayers helped me to look away from my despair to God's grace. After that I began to read scripture as well as other meaningful devotionals. When I saw my friend again a few days later she shared with me a familiar story. "Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, 'Sit here while I go pray over there.' And he took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. Then He said to them. 'My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with me.' He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, 'O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.'" (Matthew 26:36-39) I was so grateful to know that Jesus knows how I feel. I am grateful that He knows my despair even unto death. But the key to getting back into the battle is a battle of wills. I want things my way but I am always challenged to submit to God and His plan. I may take some time to despair and I may take some time to finally let go but the sooner I can align my will with God's will the better.

"A Prayer from the Front Line
Chosen leader of the Lord! May you never again allow fear to keep you from stepping onto the front line; I pray the Lord will be your strength as you fight the good fight. I pray, in Jesus' name, that you will find great peace as you prepare for battle. May your life become an adventure filled with great joy in the midst of every trial you face, and may our Lord strengthen you and surround you with His heavenly host of angels in any and all of life's challenges. May your courage to step out in faith bring revival to your family and friends, In Jesus' name Amen." (His Princess Warrior by Sheri Rose Shepherd, page 33)

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.


DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:1
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.

No comments: