Friday, June 09, 2006

1 Timothy 6:6 "Now godliness with contentment is great gain."

1 Timothy 6:6 "Now godliness with contentment is great gain."


Sitting around Atlanta Bread Company one evening a small group of ladies chit chatted. We had a great time getting to know each other just a little better. We talked about things that women talk about....food, clothes, shopping, the weather, work, children, food, diets, etc. and we were only there an hour! In the course of our conversation one of the women made the comment that "Discontented people make the best consumers. Advertisements are designed to keep people discontent." WOW! That caused me to stop and think.
One thing I enjoy doing on the weekend when the newspaper comes is to sit down and peruse the ads. I've done this for years. I never stopped to consider that it brewed discontentment in my heart, but that is exactly what it did. I would see something I wanted to buy and set about thinking on how to get it. Yikes. I was actually breeding discontentment through my actions.
Ever since that conversation, I have not been looking at the ads cover to cover.
What is it in your life that may be creating discontentment in your heart? Soap operas? Romance novels? Shopping? Comparing your husband to someone else's? comparing your house to another's? QVC channel? Is there anything? Ask God to reveal your heart to you.

Diane

No comments: