Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Law of Love II

The Law of Love II

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to
indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love." Galatians
5:13

We started off yesterday with a call to modesty. The standards of
dress have changed so drastically over time that things that we don't think
twice about today would have not have only raised eyebrows a hundred years
ago but probably earned us a name we would not like.
Yesterday, I suggested some very pointed guidelines regarding modest
attire. You may be thinking I'm being legalistic or prudish. Oh sister,
hear my heart. Our theme verse this week and several others in Scripture
clearly assure us we are free. "For sin shall not have dominion over you,
for you are not under law but under grace." Romans 6:14. "Therefore if the
Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:36. "I run in the path
of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32. BUT, we
are never to use our freedom as a license to do whatever we want if it
causes a brother to stumble. Our theme verse says, "...do not use your
freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love."
The law of love constrains the law of freedom, or law of liberty. In other
words, we give up our freedom out of love for a brother or sister, if the
exercise of our freedom is a stumbling block for them.
You may be thinking, "This isn't fair." I'm not the one that has the
problem. Why is modesty such a big deal? I'm not wearing anything too
revealing. If a man gawks, that's his problem. As a Christian woman, it is
your "problem" because Christ has called you to serve your brother in love.
How loving is it to wear clothing that attracts his eye, distracts him, or
causes him to stumble? I'm not talking here about within your marriage I'm
talking about the men that are not your husband. If your husband likes you
to dress less than modestly, I would encourage you to respectfully and
gently share with him that you want to honor him by being "for his eyes
only".
It takes a woman of strength, conviction and dignity to make such unselfish
decisions. Are you willing to be that kind of woman?

No challenge today, I think we have been challenged enough.

Diane

No comments: