Wednesday, June 07, 2006

delight in His life in you

"We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed- always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body." 2 Corinthians 4:8-10

I was recently reading through a Bible Study I had done a number of years ago when I came across this handwritten note in the margin: "The life of Jesus cannot be revealed in my body as long as the life of Diane is..."
Oh, how difficult it can be sometimes to die to self. One of my favorite prayer verses is Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." I no longer live but Christ lives in me. Wow! How do I live, yet not live? How do I live, while dying? Sometimes it is like nailing Jell-O to the wall, one moment I've got it, the next it slips away. How do I get out of God's way so He can be manifest in me? How do I cease living in my own strength and in my own flesh? From all outward appearances, it is often difficult to tell the difference between living and dying. The real difference is in the depth of the heart.
I believe the answer to all these questions appears right in the verse, "and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith..."
By faith....
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1
"The just shall live by faith." Romans 1:17
I believe that is our answer. I can live the crucified life in which the life of Jesus may be manifest in my body, by faith. Stepping out in obedience even when I can't see where I'm going is characteristic of a walk of faith. I can choose, yes choose, to die to myself and let Jesus Christ live through me. And the amazing thing about it is that He is the one that empowers me to do so by His Holy Spirit.
Be blessed today -throw your head back and delight in His life in you.
Diane

No comments: