Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Help or Hope

"God is not trusted, not honored, in our continually asking Him for help. In the face of "my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:19~KJV), how can we beg for help? Our responsibility is to see in the Word all that is ours in Christ, and then thank and trust Him for that which we need (pg 65~The Complete Green Letters- Miles Stanford).

How often do we do just that? Beg, plead and demand God's help?  I do it all the time, so I appreciate the reminder that God has already made provision, already "granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3).  I don't believe it is a matter of God giving us more as much as a matter of us receiving more of what is already ours as His children.  

In my experience we tend to err toward one of two extremes.  We either beg and plead for that which is already ours in Christ, or we presume upon God for that which He never promised. That's why the little phrase in Stanford's quote is important to not breeze over.  "Our responsibility is to see IN THE WORD all that is ours in Christ..." (Caps mine)
Let me share two brief illustrations.  

I am not a real fan of being in an airplane. I love to fly, but I'm not fond of being inside the airplane to do it.  I have a vivid memory of one flight many years ago, sitting in my center seat towards the back half of the plane, with white knuckles clinging to the arm rests, pleading with God ~ Father, give me Your peace. Oh, Lord, please give me Your peace.  Help me Jesus, I need peace.~ Over and over I pleaded and over and over God impressed upon my spirit - "You already have it, I have already given it to you" I was quite confused because I didn't believe Him.  I knew I did not feel one shred of peace in that moment.  And that, precisely, was my problem: I didn't believe Him.  "but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it" Hebrews 4:2b NKJV

The second illustration is of the error toward the other extreme.  I was sitting in the diner chatting with a friend struggling in her marriage.  As she shared with me over the next hour, it came out that she had gotten involved with another man.  It didn't seem to matter what I said, she remained unpersuaded that what she was doing was wrong.  Why was she unpersuaded?  Her words to me were: "I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't think God sees anything wrong with it because I know God wants me to be happy." I can't tell you how many times people have said those very words to me as a counselor.  It grieves my heart.  Their error is presuming upon God for something He does not promise.  They failed to "SEE IN THE WORD ALL THAT IS OURS IN CHRIST."

Today, let's simply choose to take God at His word and thank Him and Trust Him for His glorious provision for all our need.

Diane

No comments: