Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rejoicing with exceedingly great joy

"When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy." Matthew 2:10

A small portion of a familiar passage of the wise men's reaction when they saw the star which they sought. They did not simply rejoice. They were not just joyful. They did not just have great joy. They did not just have exceedingly great joy. They rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. I suspect that even with all those descriptive words, Matthew could not adequately describe the wise men's reaction with mere human words.

You may wonder why I bring up this Scripture now? Christmas is past, Easter is not yet. It struck me, as I read Matthew recently, that typically I am not inclined to get THAT excited about the things of the Lord. I wondered if anywhere in Scripture there was similar wording relative to us.

"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

"Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation." 2 Corinthians 7:4

"Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12-13

How can we rejoice and be exceedingly glad when we are reviled and persecuted, when we are experience trials and suffering? "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

As we keep a God-ward perspective with eternity in view, we will be glad with exceeding joy because ~ one day... heaven. Sisters, one day home, where our gladness and rejoicing will never end or wane.

"Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready." Revelation 19:7

Diane

No comments: