Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Without Fear...Take No Offense

For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. ~~ Galatians 1:101

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. ~~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-72

We are almost through the second month of the new year. Now I know some of you made resolutions in January. It seems to be one of those natural steps we take at the start of a brand new year.

In December, I found myself thinking on it, pondering over what new step or change I wanted or need to make this year.  In fact, it was in that month when my pastor challenged the entire church body to go thirty days without being offended. Wow, was that hard!  Who knew (certainly not me) that loving a brother or a sister by intentionally taking no offense could be so challenging?

I was astonished at how often I had to pause, ponder and pray through my stinky thinking as it relates to my words, actions and deeds in response to some perceived offense. Eww, yuck!  

At the same time, I was encouraged by the sweet fellowship of the spirit that was taking place as my own heart and its motives were revealed.  I found myself praying more for people than I had been able or willing to in the past. To take my thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ was far less draining on my emotions. Plus, a lot less unnecessary time was wasted walking or sitting around being offended.

Strangely enough, the one desire that surfaced continually for me, during that month, was to simply LIVE WITHOUT FEAR! Not the fear of spiders or fear of the dark, but rather, the fear of man. 

All too often, I was aware of circumstances, situations, etc., where I took an offense (for myself or for another) and I chose to say or do nothing for fear of what someone might think of me or fear that I might be rejected.

Praise God for His perfecting grace in us and that He, by His Spirit, is willing to speak in, through and to us for the purpose of transforming us into the image and likeness of His Son.

Stephanie

1 www.biblegateway.com 
2 www.biblegateway.com

No comments: