Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Intercessory Prayer

One of the things I appreciate most about America's KESWICK is the emphasis on prayer.  I am blessed to be able to pray for the ministry and staff.   I will frequently say, "I'll pray for you," but do I?  How consistent am I in my prayer time?  

When I think of prayer warriors, I am personally reminded of Dottie Noel and Sister Ruth, Pastor Bill's sister, and several others in my life who have been faithful examples of praying for others.  I've always desired to be a prayer warrior like them.   Why not now?   Just the other week an incident happened through which the Lord reminded me of both the importance of prayer and of praying for one another.  

Our 10-year-old daughter came home from school with a project which involved interviewing someone and asking them questions on prayer.   I immediately called Aunt Dottie and asked if Jesslyn could interview her regarding prayer.  She agreed and the two of them talked.  The questions included:  "How do you define intercessory prayer?  When do you pray?  What do you usually pray for?"  I was touched by what had just taken place.  

About 15 minutes later, the phone rang, and it was Aunt Dottie.  She called to thank me for suggesting Jesslyn call.  Aunt Dottie went on to share that she was physically not feeling well and was very discouraged that day.  But God intervened.... He had a little girl call and through their conversation God showed Aunt Dottie that He did care and that she was important and she was making an impact for HIS kingdom.  God showed us an example of intercessory prayer when a 10-year-old girl and a 75-year-old woman of faith connected to share and pray for one another.  I was moved to tears witnessing something that seemed so small yet taught such a big lesson.  

Ephesians 6:18 says, "Pray all the time.  Ask God for anything in line with the Holy Spirit's wishes.  Plead with him, reminding him of your needs, and keep praying earnestly for all Christians everywhere." (The Living Bible)

Intercessory prayer... it's God's command... let's obey HIM, mean it and do it when we say, "I'll pray for you!"  I believe we'll be amazed at how He will use us to impact HIS kingdom.

Donna Bitler
 


2 comments:

Melanie L said...

I know I am touched by the pictures your girls gave to me, which hang on my cubicle wall. Sisterhood in Christ knows no age limits!

Unknown said...

Oh Donna, I could just see the two of them talking on the phone together too. Children teach us sooo much, knowing each of you makes this so much more special :) Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Prayer is so important, and I know kids have that simple Faith that they will just pray about anything anywhere. Amazing lessons to be learned or relearned. You have a very special girl there. Love you all, Melissa McFeaters