Friday, June 11, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER - POINTS TO PONDER

PSALM 91:11-16
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.
14 "Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

Points to Ponder: Taken at face value, this sounds like an end-all-be-all promise that we, as Christians, will not suffer. But we know that is not true for even within the Psalm it tells us we will have trouble (v. 15) and that we will need rescue (v. 15).

In addition, we need to always view Scripture in view of Scripture. We can expect persecution: "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:11-12) We will have tribulation: " I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) We will face suffering: "For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake" Philippians 1:29

I believe the psalm emphasizes a few things that will strengthen us during those difficult times:
1. dwell
2. abide [abide in the shadow of the Almighty - you have to be pretty close to abide in someone's shadow and you have to mimic their movements to stay in their shadow]
3. trust
4. take refuge
5. hold fast
6. know Him

This psalm exhudes 'relationship with' not just 'knowledge of' the Holy One. What are you doing today to deepen that relationship with Jesus?

Diane

No comments: