Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Secret Place

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust. Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you. Psalm 91:1-7

One of my first thought the dozens of times I've read this in the past few weeks has been -"where is the secret place of the Most High?"

This is one of the answers I found: "The 'secret place of the Most High is a place of intimacy where only you and the Lord can dwell. It is truly one of a kind. There is no other place like it. It is unique, because we are unique and our relationship with Him is unique. It is a place where we can come apart from the world, its cares and distractions, and concentrate only on being with Him. This place needs to be cultivated so it becomes a way of life, a lifestyle, to be in His presence continually. No matter what is around us or what we face, nothing will be able to break the intimacy that we have found in Him."1

Many other thoughts have come to mind, but I seem to come back to this one regarding the "secret place of the Most High" and more than anything else today, I long for a deeper sense of Him that I believe will only come when I abide and truly dwell in that "secret place."

Something else which draws my attention is the word "dwell." It, too, keeps popping out at me. That word means: to live or stay as a permanent resident; reside; to live or continue in a given condition or state.2

Lord help me today to grasp how wide, how deep, how vast, how broad is Your love for me. May we, your daughters have intentional dwelling moments today in Your secret place. Selah

Stephanie Paul

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "intrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiciton Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

1 http://www.ourchurch.com/member/g/GraceNglory/index.php?p=1_10_MEDITATION-ON-PSALM-91
2 http://dictionary.reference.com/

DIGGING DEEPER: Psalm 96:4-6
4 For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised;
he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols,
but the LORD made the heavens.
6 Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

No comments: