Thursday, June 24, 2010

Forgiveness

Quoting Wikipedia: "Forgiveness is typically defined as the process of concluding resentment, indignation or anger as a result of a perceived offense, difference or mistake, and/or ceasing to demand punishment or restitution." The Oxford English Dictionary defines forgiveness as "to grant free pardon and to give up all claim on account of an offense or debt."

Is that the kind of forgiveness God calls us to when He says???: Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you Colossians 3:13 (NIV).

Yes, I believe God means what He says. We are to let go of resentments, anger, offenses and lay the one who has offended us before the Lord.

The longer I live the more I understand that when God tells us to do something it is totally for our own good. He calls us to forgive. It is a tall order. It does not come "naturally" to most people. It sure hasn't come naturally for me. I would rather punish the one who hurts me or separate myself from that person so as not to get hurt again. But no matter what our flesh may want to do, there is no denying that God calls us to forgive.

In my personal walk I have found that, apart from God, there is simply no way I can forgive. When I was a new Christian attending a ladies Bible study I became very angry with someone from my neighborhood that had spread false rumors about me. I sought counsel from an older woman in the Lord from the Bible study. She wisely advised me to pray for that woman who was gossiping. Pray for her, what a crazy idea I thought, but praise God I did as she advised. Soon after on a Sunday morning pastor told every one in the congregation to think of a person who had wronged them and do a kindness to that person. Ugh!! Now I not only had to pray for her I had to do a kindness for her. I made banana bread and brought it to her home. I was thankful she wasn't home, so I left the bread at her door. A few weeks went by and she came to my door. To my surprise I hugged her and welcomed her into our home. I knew then it was God's gift to me. There was no anger, no resentment, I actually hugged her. It was a lesson I would apply many times over.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (NKJV).

Jesus took on our sin. Surely I can at the very least pray for the one who has sinned against me.

1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing (NKJV).

I am called to bless the one who hurts me, and lo and behold it is I who inherit a blessing. However, let me be clear, if you are living with someone who is hurting you, God is not saying you must bless that person by staying in a place where you will continue to be in danger. Sisters, seek the Lord as to how you are to bless the one who has hurt you. For me, I have a husband who was active in his addiction. I blessed him by praying for each and every part of his body while I did his laundry, I prayed for his mind as I made the bed. When I cleaned the house you can just imagine the opportunities to pray for him throughout the house. Even when I cooked his meals I prayed that every morsel would bear good fruit in his members. Yet, for another person who hurt me, I never came in contact with him again but I faithfully prayed for his salvation.

Dear ones, allow your heart to be set free of bitterness, anger, resentments, trauma.......forgive, bless and you will be blessed with freedom.

I will close this Word from Romans 12:14-21: Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good (NIV).

Patricia L. Wenzel
Graduate, Woman of Character

DIGGING DEEPER: Psalm 96:7-9
7 Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength!
8 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
bring an offering, and come into his courts!
9 Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness;
tremble before him, all the earth!

No comments: